Me: He was a civil rights leader and the movement he led created a lot of changes in America. They got people to see that treating black people differently from other people was wrong.
Ess: Did he like puzzles?
Me: Maybe. He worked for equality for all people, no matter their color. That means treating everyone the same, giving all people the same rights.
Gee: I didn't get a puzzle. Ess got a puzzle.
Me: You got cards and she's letting you play.
Gee: Did Santa bring these presents?
Me: No, Daddy got them for you. Do you know what Martin Luther King said? He said he had a dream that all little children would stand together.
Gee: Santa says, 'ho, ho, ho, Merry Christmas.'
Ess: No, he says, 'up, up and away.'
I give up. This year. I apologize Dr. King, but I have a feeling you are watching other events today. I am proud just to be alive in America on January 20, 2009. Up, up and away!
****************************************************
Honest scrap tag number four. I am fairly strict about dessert with my kids, but I have a ridiculous sweet tooth. After lunch, I crave sweets. I admit that I hide in the bathroom and eat junk. I can't justifiably call it occasionally. I'm going to say somewhere between every day and often. I used to sneak sweets in the car by ordering milkshakes at drive thrus every few days. Now the kids are all older and smarty pantsish and they know what a milkshake is. Brats.
****************************************************
Thank yous.
Making lemonade from lemons is one of my favorite expressions - because I like to say, nah, I'll just suck on the lemons. I love sour. Thanks Pam, for seeing me as one of those people that can turn things around. It's completely mutual. Pam lifts me up every week with her You're Gonna Miss This Moment carnival.I am embarrassed because I forgot to thank Katy at Funny Girl yesterday. She sent the fabulous button my way as well. While I absolutely know that she wouldn't hold my carelessness against me, I'm mad I missed the opportunity to link to her. Her funny, heartfelt, honest posts on raising a daughter, adoption, ADHD, life and faith touch my heart deeply.
********************************************************
Trivia. Maura swept the board yesterday and earned my devotion (as if she didn't already have it) by finding the lyrics to BOING BOING DAVID. Impressive research skills. A lot of you knew the book, The Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler. Children's literature is a good category.
Okay, here's a few favorites, title and author for five points. Frail boy rides around the time/space continuum on a Pegasus. After her father dies, a wealthy little girl befriends rats and stays true to her loving nature during her time at the mercy of a cruel boarding school mistress. Sweet tale of orphaned siblings that find an unusual home and survive on their own until a doctor takes them all in. I'm inspired to start collecting the next level of books for my kids!






