Thursday, January 15, 2009

Thanks, Tags and Trivia Take Two

Honest Scrap Tag #2. During my very, very brief time as a real practicing lawyer for the CNMI Attorney General's Office, I had to argue an appeal before a panel of judges from the Ninth Circuit. I was beyond nervous. Until that day, my appellate experience consisted of law school practice arguments. I arrived at the Federal courthouse really early and the District Court judge was still holding hearings. It was absolutely freezing in the building and I was already shaking with nerves. I sat in the back of the courtroom and practiced my argument in my head.

Apparently, my lips were moving and I looked, um, insane to be blunt. At one point, the District Court judge stopped his proceedings and pulled the court marshal up to the bench. Thank G-O-D I knew the marshal. I didn't know it at the time, but the judge thought the crazy woman in the back looked like a potential threat and ought to be investigated and removed. That would be me. After my oral argument was over, the marshal told me the whole story. "Aw," he said to the judge, "that's just Stacey, she's harmless, she's just nervous." Way to inspire confidence in the government and its counsel. And then I died of embarrassment, the end.

**************************************************
Trivia. Thanks for the huge laughs in yesterday's comments. I am thrilled to learn that I do not, technically, have a tramp stamp. I loved hearing about all of your tattoos. I'll be waiting for the promised blog posts...with pictures please. Maggie Dammit gets the prize for the best description of tattoo placement I've ever heard. Pictures Maggie!! Unless it involves blurring out and in that case, we understand.

No one had it exactly right, but Psychmamma had the closest guess on my tattoo. It is Celtic and it is a protection symbol. She is the reigning AnyTrivia champion. I'll give her five points for getting half way there. From my limited knowledge, it's a Celtic Druid bind rune that turns negative energy into positive energy.

I have a necklace charm with the symbol in silver set in lapis lazuli that I adore and I gave it to the tattoo artist to recreate. I wanted the tattoo for a while before I built up the nerve to have it done - I always thought the symbolism went nicely with the placement - and the phrase, oh yeah, well kiss my ass (and I'll just turn your negativity right into positive energy for me while you're at it, thank you very much).

That was a hard one. Should we go back to poetry? "Down drooped, the sails, the sails drooped down, twas sad as sad could be, and we did speak only to break the silence of the sea." Name and author of that mega famous poem for five points.

Music? Movies? Here's a line from a song that Ess and Gee sing constantly right now: "Don't go breakin' my heart. I couldn't if I tried." Five points for the name of the children's movie from which they learned such lovely lyrics. Hint - Pig doing karaoke. Five extra points if you can name the pig.

How about legal quotes? Anyone know the early history of our three branch system? "It is emphatically the province of the judiciary to say what the law is." Five points for the name of the very early Supreme Court case with that famous line - and I will be majorly impressed.

************************************************

Thank yous.

Huge thanks to MommyMo at Growing Up Mo for this delightful little bauble.


This one is just so pretty. Thanks so much to a new read of mine, Finding Fairy Tales.






Wait. Before I go, guess who else got a tattoo the other day?



Mom? Are you okay? Was that the sound of you hitting the ceiling? You know I wouldn't, would I?