Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Sweets for the Sweets

Parasite eradication complete. We treated everyone in the family. You know that old saying, the family that treats for pin worms together, stays together. Thanks to all the wise medical professionals and veteran parasite hosts for that suggestion. I am certain you are all right and the kids had them too. Where else could I have picked up such filth?

Pin X (I know, I know) may be the most disgusting liquid goop in existence. It's thick and nasty and the fake caramel flavoring is worse than the actual horrendous medicine taste that it barely covers. I gagged getting two tablespoons down. I'd been warned and we were fully prepared to hold the kids down and squirt it down the back of their throats.

Except, these are my kids, so I thought I'd just try handing them their dose in the little cup first. Slurped it down. With relish. All three of them, even the baby. Gee asked me if it was juice. Ess asked if she could have another treat.

What? Your kids don't beg for more antiworm medication? Freaks.

People tell me often that I am 'very strict' with my kids. Mostly, I'm okay with that. Parent and let parent. I learn a ton from the other parents I know, whatever their styles. If it's particularly judgy, I get a little defensive. Oh yeah, well when's the last time your kids sat at the table for an entire meal? Will your kids be going to bed at 6:30 tonight without a peep and sleeping for twelve hours?

It's okay, they can nod knowingly when I have really resentful, rebellious teenagers.

No, honestly, it always leaves me doubting myself. I am strict. I envy and admire more flexible parents. What can I say, chaos and mess make me nauseous. Good thing I decided to have like eight kids in three years then, huh?

My food rules revolve around manners. We only eat at the table, if you throw or scream, you're done, no more starch if you don't try the veggies, that kind of thing. I guess we don't eat a lot of sweets, but it's not because I don't like them or I keep them from the kids. Refined flour and high fructose corn syrup are two of my favorite ingredients. I don't have them in the house much, but that's only because if they make it into the house, I consume them in 2.5 milliseconds.

Craving worm meds and thinking fake caramel syrup is juice, though. That's out of control. My kids will know the difference between Betty Crocker and anti-parasite medication or I will have truly failed as a parent. Excuse me, I'm off to bake a cake. Which they will eat plain. Because I ate all the damn frosting with a spoon. Go ahead, judge me.

Gratuitous happy tropical baby pictures. We share our infestations with all the international tourists at the water park. We like to be generous and friendly and diplomatic like that. We don't share our plain cake. There's a limit.





(I am totally kidding about the sharing. We were already fully dosed, I swear.)