Thursday, June 5, 2008

Hairku Friday: The Learning Curve

Haiku Friday

On Fridays, Jennifer at Playgroups Are No Place for Children and Christina at A Mommy Story organize a group of bloggers that post haikus. Along with a few others moms who are on the learning curve of styling African-heritage hair, I thought that doing a Friday "Hairku" each week and sharing hairstyles would be a great way to celebrate our children's gorgeous hair and might inspire us to tackle more intimidating techniques on 'hair day.' (Or, maybe embarrass us into tackling more complicated styles?)

Here I go, the inaugural "Hairku" Friday.

My unschooled fingers
Work to learn tasks some mothers
Learned in their childhood


Visiting Haiti, I got a glimpse of how important 'doing hair' is. It's not only a cultural skill, it's also a family event and a time to bond with all of the female members of an extended family. I know my daughter will never sit in a row with her sisters and cousins while they all do each other's hair and listen to family stories and gossip, but I still want her to know how it feels to sit in her mother's lap while I lovingly style her hair for the next week. I'm learning!


We just took this style out a few days ago, but it's one of my favorites yet. It is simple box twists with dragonfly snaps.

If you have a hairstyle and a 'hairku' to share, leave me a comment and I'll add your link to this post. Also, take a few minutes to click on the links to the original Haiku Friday creators (and add your link to their lists). Every Friday their blogs link to all the haikus for the day. Fun!

Hurray! Here are the other Hairkuers out there this morning. Sorry I've been so slow, I'm on the west coast.