Monday, July 7, 2008

A Beer Drinking Question

My crabbiness is contagious. It's time to lighten up around here a little. Move on to more pressing issues. We have a ripple in the Anyparents pond of marital bliss and we could use a little help resolving the brouhaha (ha ha, pun completely intended).

HSSH has a new favorite beer. He's a big fan of the Full Sail Brewing Company in Hood River Oregon.


This is his newest discovery. Session Premium Lager brewed by Full Sail.

I'm going to keep typing Full Sail with a link over and over in the hope that they will decide to throw their biggest fan a bone, like a free t-shirt (please, his is dying and he will not stop wearing it), or a coaster, or a life time supply of free beer. (The latter would be my preference because it would free up a lot of disposable income for chai lattes.)

It's decent, but what is with the funky squat little bottle and the ridiculously small mouth hole. I got the giggles when he brought me my bottle to try because I couldn't properly insert my upper lip into the hole to take a sip. When I pointed to this major design flaw, he ridiculed me for half an hour on my beer drinking technique. He says it's unnecessary to put your lip into the hole when you take a drink a beer. I don't see how you take a drink at all with out putting the little point of your upper lip into the bottle.

I observed his drinking technique. It's an open mouth pour. It's a style usually reserved for taking a squirt of water from someone else's water bottle when you're trying to avoid germ spreading. Not everyone wants to guzzle their beer like a Sigma Episilon getting ready for the big game. Some of us want to sip and savor.

His rebuttal is that I am a BEER WASTER who should not be allowed to drink beer. My habit of drinking half of a beer and then pouring it out because it's gotten too warm and I want a colder one has been a point of marital contention for a long time. Point taken, I should take sips more often, but I would still need to insert my upper lip into the bottle, a feat that is physically difficult with such a ridiculously tiny opening.


I'm putting it to the jury. Check out exhibit A to the left and render your verdict. (Five points to the first one who can name the classic beer movie with this line: "Lawyers are for sucks!" Here's the current tally. Aunt Dee - 10 points. Rest of the universe - 0 points.) Major design flaw or beer drinking faux pas? Don't you need to put your upper lip into the bottle to drink a beer? (Notice the leading question, thus skewing the results in my favor.) I'm going to guess that not a lot of men read this blog, so I might have a chance of actually winning this one. But, maybe it's not a gender thing? Maybe I'm just weird (not likely) or he is (pick this one!!).