The top parenting question/issue that I am asked about - aside from how on earth I get four children five and under to sleep twelve hours a night in the same room, which I keep telling everyone is because I'm wicked. No one believes me, but it's absolutely 100% true. I eat children after 7:00 p.m. - the second most asked about issue is the relative normalness of various p.en.is-related behaviors.
"You have three boys," the question goes, "are they, you know, all over themselves the way mine are?"
"Isn't he too young?"
"Do you think something's wrong?"
So, okay, I'll go there on this fine, quiet Saturday morning. (Hey, at least it's not Sunday. Bolt of lightening. Stacey ducks.)
Let me put your collective minds at ease. Yes, no, no. Yes, it's like their pe.ni are very powerful magnets and their hands are made out of metal. No, there's no too young; I don't think something is wrong; I seriously doubt your son is depraved. Based on the behavior I have observed over the past almost six years, whatever is bothering you is totally and completely normal.
Taking my family as a standard for normal, which may or may not be wise.
Here's my short list of debatably normal behavior: (JUST TO BE CLEAR THIS LIST IS INTENDED AS A GUIDE FOR PARENTS OF CHILDREN UNDER SIX. UNFORTUNATELY, I FEEL THAT DISCLAIMER IS NECESSARY FOR SOME OF OUR BLOGGING COMPATRIOTS WITH INAPPROPRIATE BOUNDARIES AND ALSO FOR OUR GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS.)
1) Wince-worthy pulling, stretching, pinching, knot-tying, manipulating, fondling, mauling, turning inside out, squishing, etc. I know. I don't think it looks like it's meant to do that either.
1a) Public display of any of the above behaviors.
2) Unnecessarily rubbing it on things or sticking it into things.
3) Having it appear from the pants in a little hand in awkward situations including the grocery store, the park, music class and a Christian school recital.
4) Dropping trou suddenly and without warning to present an "owie."
5) A small baby who enjoys wet wipes in a way that makes you go "hmmmm" or giggles during wiping.
6) A medium sized baby batting away your hand to prevent you from fastening his diaper so that he can proceed with any of the above behaviors obstruction free.
7) Touching each other's parts with fingers or other objects or creating a game wherein everyone touches the same object with their p.eni.s.
7a) The same. In public. Of course. While you're trying to complete a bank deposit.
8) Having to say in any number of embarrassing public locations, "we don't touch our p.eni.s here; this is not an appropriate place for touching our p.eni.s; please put your pe.ni.s away until you are in your bedroom."
9) Hysterical laughter at the mention of the word p.en.is, v.ag.ina, bottom, butt, poop, pee, etc., etc. Usually after screaming it loudly at each other. Probably in a public place. I mean, is it really funny if you're not humiliating your mother?
There, you see? I'm pretty sure that whatever you are experiencing is completely normal. For a child under six. For all other men, see your "penal" code.
I put the dots in pe.n.is so that google searches involving the words "children" or "boys" and "s.ex" terms don't land skeevy per.verts here. I would appreciate it if you would do the same in the comments. Isn't it a wonderful world? ;-)






