Monday, May 24, 2010

Do as I say, not as I do

Thank you. Reading all the thoughts and points on that last post was emotionally exhausting. Your comments were unbelievably thoughtful and kind. I'm in awe that so many people were willing to look at a really hard issue from another perspective. Thank you so much.

I could write twenty posts on different things that came up in the comments. I want to highlight so many of your insights. For now, I'll just quote Princess Jenn because she said it so well.

"There needs to be more understanding and less condemnation, not just in adoptive situations, but (for) ANY family who is dealing with a child with behavioral issues."

Yes. There does. More understanding and less condemnation. Exactly.

********************************

Okay. I need a break. You probably need a break from me. I'll follow up with drivel. I bring you incredibly mature parents in action.

Very early morning. Ess, Gee and Cue "play" in their bedroom. Matt and I try to pretend that the house is still quiet. Some kind of feud brews over blanket placement.

Gee: NO! I don't WANT the blankets there.
Cue: Yes! YES THERE! I want them ON.
Gee: I want them OFF.
Cue: I want them ON!!!
Gee: No. NO! I won't let you.

(ominous silence)

Cue: (calmly and quietly) Then, I will hit you with this book.

And we did not stop the ensuing book-as-weaponry drama. Because we were laughing so hard we couldn't get our breath to intervene.

Very early the next morning. The children are annoyingly awake and playing some loud game in the next room. Matt reaches for me and tries to cuddle.

Me: NO! I don't want the blankets there.
Matt: Yes! I want to.
Me: NO! The children are awake. It's morning. NO!
Matt: YES! They're playing. I want to.
Me: NO! They're distracting. I don't want to.
Matt: They're fine. I want to.
Me: NO! I won't let you.

Silence. Matt rolls over to his nightstand and then faces me again.

Matt: Then, I will hit you with this book.

I know. It's a good thing we aren't obnoxious, sarcastic people. Because otherwise where in the hell would I get off writing about what everyone else should do? XO. Thank you again. Truly.