We had a lot of special days in a row. A cookie decorating party. An ornament making party. Grandparents. Swimming. Special PJs for Santa. Santa's big arrival.
"No," I told him. "Every day can't be special. Today is just an ordinary day."
Remember my post about delighting in my children? I still make that a goal every day. I forget. I still yell. I still get impatient and overwhelmed, but I have started and stuck with one new daily practice. Right before I sing their lullabies each night, when I give each of them a tight hug and smell their yummy baby hair, I tell them something that delighted me that day. I keep it simple so that I don't get angsty about it.
You delighted me today when you told Miss K thank you.
I loved it when you cleaned up without whining.
I loved how patient you were with your picture drawing.
You delighted me today when you kissed baby Nate when he cried.
I thought it was no big deal until I forgot it one night and they all protested in their loud, whiny protest voices. "You didn't tell us what we did, you didn't say what you loved today."
On the fourth day after Christmas, at bedtime, I hugged them all tight and I said one thing that I loved that day. Garret said, "I love you, twinklelopalotus," and Saige said, "I love you mommysapasourus," because they think that is hilarious.
My dear little Quinn, he kept it simple. "Mine love you too," he replied.
He isn't going to say "mine" instead of "I" much longer.
As sappy and corny as it is, I fought tears and I said, "today was a special day, Garrett, because I got to spend it with all of you."
If I have one hope for myself in 2010, one prayer for my family for this new year and one wish for all of you, it's that. That you spend your days with the people that make them special.
And if I have one resolution, it's that I remember that every day is a special day.
Happy New Year, everyone. Thanks for being part of my life in 2009. I have very high hopes for 2010.






