Sunday, May 29, 2011

I will survive - week one

Thank you for dancing with us. I won't say anything else about that last post except thank you and you are all adored and I'm grateful.

******************************
Change is not my thing. I resist it on principle. But, even I have my price and I have sold myself out for a master bathroom. Oh, to have the pukey flu and not have to puke into the same toilet my children puked into all night. To avoid the pee smell - why does it always smell like pee?? - around the upstairs toilet. To shower in a shower that has not bathed my beautiful, small son and his various fungi.

I will sacrifice much. I will bend. I will accept change.

Three days ago, our backyard looked like this.


This happened.


And now it looks like this.



They'll be going in the back of the house in about three weeks. The Snow White room will become a master suite. The kids will move into the room that Matt and I have shared for seven years.

The office, on the first floor, will become a homework/work space for our elementary school kids. That is, if I can ever get it not to look like this.

Daunting. We have a lot of throwing away and getting rid of and reorganizing to do.  I am up to this task because as much as I hate change; I hate CLUTTER even more!  Besides, I've been dreaming about four gorgeous little Pottery Barn desks that I can not afford for weeks now.

On a whim, the kids and I drove across the river the other day after school to do a small errand. Look at what was sitting outside of an antique shop along the way.


It was like a sign from the gods of change and child-sized desks. Who had, incidentally, also ordered me to stop and get a Starbucks chai in order to fortify myself for the days ahead.  I actually bought it right then. The desk, I mean.  Unheard of - I am the most indecisive shopper you will ever have the misfortune to encounter. Now, if I could just stumble across three more pretty, little desks for under $100.00, we will know that the construction spirits favor this project.

When the gods of change and desks speak, you have to listen. Especially when Scott, the long-suffering contractor, is about to put an addition-sized hole in the back of your house. Besides, if you fail to step up and meet change on your own terms, it will find you, hiding in the back of the closet rocking back and forth and it will take your precious babies away and make them big kids who need desks to do homework. (I'll be in the closet, rocking back and forth.)


Saige, Garrett & Quinn. September-ish 2007.