Thursday, August 19, 2010

At my brown shiny house

My children have shiny houses. Saige's is pink. Garrett's is blue, except when it's green. Quinn's is yellow. I'm sure Nate will pick a color in the near future.

I don't know how it started Maybe I said something obnoxious like, when you have your own house, you can do what you like there. Maybe they came up with it on their own. No idea, but I love it. Whenever the shiny houses come up, I get such insight into their thoughts and their dreams, into what has caught their attention or their eye.

At my pink shiny house, I have fifteen bathing suits. Like Ila, did you like her new bathing suit? MORE than Ila.

At my blue shiny house, I have one hundred animals. Like the Cratt brothers? Yes! Do you have a cougar? Yes. And I just got a jaguar.

Sometimes, it hurts a little, though I'm glad to learn the lesson.

At my pink shiny house my other mother lets me set the picnic table all by myself.

At my yellow shiny house, I can take the cold thing to bed for my owies.

What color is your shiny house, they ask me. Brown. NO! The horror is unanimous. Purple? Red perhaps? Dark blue is nice? Not brown, momma, use your imagination. But my shiny house, I am sorry to disappoint them, is brown. A light mocha brown with deep chocolate accents and cream trim.

What happens at your brown shiny house, momma? Sigh.

At my brown shiny house, I have a maid, four nannies and a chef.

At my brown shiny house, I have a dog trainer.

At my brown shiny house, I have a laundress. Her only job is to do the laundry.

At my brown shiny house, I have a writing studio. It's on the south side of the house, so plenty of sunshine seeps in.

At my brown shiny house, children sleep until 8:00 a.m.

At my brown shiny house, there are always vodka tonics at five, with fresh squeezed lime, like Elizabeth makes them. There is a bartender. His name is Gabriel.

At my brown shiny house, there is a work shop far from the main house where Matt parks all of his 1972 Fords. He has as many as he wants.

At my brown shiny house, parking lots are not allowed in residential neighborhoods and city planning people do their jobs.

At my brown shiny house, someone else does the grocery shopping. He always buys Cambozola cheese and Giesen Sauvignon Blanc.

At my brown shiny house, there are six children and not a drop of trouble or angst or worry went into procuring the last two.

At my brown shiny house, a hairdresser straightens my hair every morning. It never looks like a sponge.

I could do this all day. Seriously. What color is your shiny house? What happens there?