Monday, June 15, 2009

Maybe Baby

It's been a whole week since I last posted. I don't know where it went either. Time enough to have three babies, but I have nothing exciting to report. Last Tuesday, I was already two centimeters dilated. Thursday and Friday, I had almost forty-eight hours of steady contractions and we got excited and made elaborate plans for ditching our kids to go to the hospital.

Then, nothing. I fell asleep Friday night and woke up pregnant and non-contracting and basically facing a long, routine weekend.

The brief excitement did spur me to pack a bag and do a little shopping and schedule my pre-registration at the hospital.. I needed a small fire lit under me. Actually, I need a large fire because I have made no progress on changing the sleeping arrangements around here. I have time, right? Little bit will probably be late.

We'll see. I'll be checked again tomorrow and I'm hoping to score a three or even a four. Our midwife told me at my last appointment that she once had a mom get to seven without going into active labor. My competitive bone immediately kicked in. Maybe little fizbit and I could go to an eight. We'd be the winners...of nothing...except possibly a frightening, incredibly messy birth on our bathroom floor. So, um, maybe not.

Tomorrow, I also find out if I am "strep B positive" or not. Which is a big deal to no one except me because I hate needles of all kinds and I plan to refuse the routine heplock for this birth. Unless, I'm step B positive. In that event, they get very pushy with you about IV antibiotics in labor. I haven't decided if I will fight that battle (refusing the antibiotics) or bite the heplock and suck it up. I've done a lot of reading and still have mixed feelings about the risks. Anyone have a (gently stated, I am 37 weeks and I cry easily) opinion on this?

My current opinion is that it would have been nice if the events of yesterday had occurred before my strep B test. Nothing could have lived through that wipe down. Sometimes, multi-tasking is not a good idea.

I was in the bathroom helping Gee get redressed and since I always have to pee these days, I figured, let's kill a few birds with one stone here.

I sat and directed his hand washing activities from afar. He can't reach the sink to wash his hands, so I had him pull down the huge bottle of hand sanitizer in our bathroom. It's so big, he couldn't hold it and squirt it with one hand and he ended up with hand washing goo all down the front of his sweatshirt. I called him over and helped him get it on his hands and then cleaned up his shirt with toilet paper and sent him on his way.

Can you guess what I did next?

Yeah, that shit hurts.

Moral of this story: Do not try that at home, no matter what you think is growing down there.