I have that familiar mixture of excitement and fear in my stomach that I remember so well from my world traveling days. I know I won't sleep tonight. I'll remember some small item, lying in bed at 3:00 a.m., and rise to tuck it into a pocket that's not quite stuffed full yet and that will be it. I'll consider the clock and the two hours until departure and give in to my overactive brain.
It's all right. Sleep is overrated. The children are sleeping, soundly, with no idea of the changes ahead. They take things day by day, lucky darlings. They couldn't care less where I stuck the portable DVD charger (unless the movies won't play and then, heaven help us) or whether I have enough diapers, they won't check the passports over and over like an insane person all day tomorrow. They'll just delight in the airplanes and whine when they get tired and hungry and bored and sleep the sleep of the innocent (oh please god let them sleep the sleep of the something) curled up in their seats on the ten hour leg to Japan.
My excitement built all day, with each good bye, each loose end tied and tucked, each item checked off the list. I remember this feeling, the possibilities, the closing of one existence and opening of oneself to another. Once upon a time, I did it for months at a time with only this backpack.
Look at me. Hands free. Such mobility. Such ease of passage. I scoffed at the weighed down and over packed ones.
Tomorrow, we won't travel quite so light.
I mean, holy ever loving luggage, could we have any more crap? Karma is a bitch, I believe. The three on top are the important ones, the rest are just extras. I'm sorry Portland and Narita. That whirling dervish of noise and whining, dirty, possibly smelly children? Just ignore it. It will move on eventually.
I'm going to close comments on this one because I can't possibly respond. To all my friends who visit me here, I'm sorry. Visiting blogs and responding to emails and acknowledging lovely awards has fallen by the wayside, sad victim to the last mad rush. It sucks. I miss you all! Next week, I'm going to find a nice spot in the tropical sun, dig my toes into the sand, and finally catch up properly. Until then...
The sun has gone to bed and so must I, goodbye, goodbye, goodbye.






