Stop! everything! Vague, annoying angst forgotten. Attempt at beautiful imagery and examination of self bumped down.
My children and the children of my closest friends in this crazy motherhood ride are in Dolly Parton's new music video. Dolly Parton! For a total of .00001 seconds at about 2:42 so do not blink, I kid you not.
The glory belongs to Amy. The story, because I know you are all on pins and needles, is that she adores Dolly. Their relationship has reached a very personal basis, though I'm not sure Dolly knows it yet, and when Dolly called for home video of people holding hands to be considered for inclusion in her new music video, Amy leaped to action. The rest of us, Elise, Kristina, Meggan and I, (A lovely circle of women and support and friendship that I consider the biggest treasure of my childbearing and young children raising years, excepting, of course, my actual children. Sometimes, actually, it's a tie.) rolled our eyes and griped. Get them all together? All thirteen of them? Naps! Schedules! Chaos!
But Amy nagged and moaned and bitched, ah, I mean persisted, and so we gathered in the boulevard one cranky afternoon and yelled at them until they stood in a marginal line for five seconds and I actually captured it with my mediocre filming skills. (Oh yes, that's my videography in a Dolly Parton video thank you very much.)
This is the original clusterfuck of a video. I can't imagine why Dolly didn't keep my piercing, bossy voice in her lovely video.
That night, I went, a trifle grumbly-like, to follow the instructions and upload the video and found that we had missed the submission deadline by twenty-four hours. I also found that we were supposed to be in front of an historic monument, but directions not being my strong point and Amy's deep happiness on the line, I fudged the boundaries of "historic" Manito Park a bit and hit submit.
I about died yesterday when I heard Amy screaming from ten blocks away that our kids were in a Dolly "fuck.ing" Parton video. I tried to maintain my facade of measured indifference, but it is so freaking cool! OMFG! I called my mom. She hasn't called me back. MOM. So I'm telling you.
I hope you have friends like these women. I hope my children have friends like them over the course of their lives. I laugh louder and love harder and enjoy my kids more and live my life better for having them at my side. There's always a net to fall into and a hand to hold and a smile to share. Disappointments sting less and successes taste sweeter. Humor shared is funnier and life is a blast. It's so much fun.
In the immortal words of Dolly: They stop the rain and make the sun shine.






