He stood on the edge of the pool, knees bent, nose pinched, and collected his courage before the leap. The free fall was only an instant and then the plunge. I saw him sink down under the clear water and stretch until his toes touched the turquoise tiles on the bottom. He pushed off and rocketed back up to the surface, laughing.
Four days ago, he wouldn't even contemplate this jump. He refused to get his ears and face wet. Three days ago, arms outstretched, he begged his Daddy not to let him go under. Two days ago, he danced on the side, wishing for the courage to plunge like his fearless sister.
Today, he walked to the side, resolve etched into his pudgy baby face. "Watch me, momma! Watch me!" I could almost see his heart pounding under his thin shirt and life vest, but he held his nose, bent his knees and
JUMPED.
It hurt. Me. He could not have been more joyful. It hurt me a little. Like I'd watched him jump from baby to little boy right before my eyes.
I can hardly bear to watch. I can't tear myself away. I don't want to miss a second.
************************
Comments are closed on this one. Thank you for your empathy on my trip from hell. I've made a full recovery, strongly supported by fabulous friends and pina coladas. If you're following along with my new project, Chapter Three of UNION PACIFIC is up.






