Monday, April 12, 2010

Voices of the Year

BlogHer. Maybe you've heard of it? Little event in NYC in August?

I'm going again this year and I'm just as excited and nervous as I was last year.

Are you going? Because I'd love to add you to my nifty sidebar list of people who are going and I know and so I promise you, self, you do not have to hyperventilate walking into various events alone.

Or with Nate. He's coming too this year. Not so much on the whole party girl thing for me.

I also want to point out a "little" thing at BlogHer called Voices of the Year. At the closing keynote of the first night of the conference, the BlogHer organizers have 20 or so selected bloggers read one of their posts. It is an absolutely astonishing and moving experience to hear these authors read their own words.

The nominations for posts come from the BlogHer community and if you are going you probably know all of this, but I'm going to tell you one more time anyway. Nominate someone. Close your eyes and think about a post that sticks out in your mind from the last year, that moved you or made you laugh or taught you something, and then go here and nominate it for Voices of the Year. (You have to be logged in to the blogHer website.)

Not only do you get to tell someone that their writing rocked your world, you also might just be instrumental in torturing them with heart palpitations of terror for the entire first day of the conference before they have to stand in front of 1000 or so people and read their work. It's fun. I did it to Issa last year, so you can ask her ;-)

If you're going (which you should absolutely be commenting to tell me because I like lists and because the whole weekend flies by and I need to know so that I can focus on spotting you), do you have a post that you wrote in the last year that you love? That stands out in your mind? Email it to me. It's hard to remember everything that I read and all that I loved over a year's time. I might have missed it. You are not too small. New voices are the whole point.

The deadline for submissions is April 15. One more day. Don't miss it!